Windham - 59479
Not much is known about the beginning of Windham prior to a story which begins with the time Duncan Gilliespie came in 1914. It is known that in 1909 there was a hotel and that the Post Office was located in it. Also there was a small store.
Duncan Gillespie came from Butte to Windham in 1914. At that time there was a population of about 100. He opened a drug store and operated a Dance Hall. It proved to be quite a flourishing business with Lehigh booming at that time. Victrolas were just becoming popular - replacing old phonograph and much of his business was selling these especially the records for them. This was in the days when home freezers were unheard of and everyone going to town looked forward to a treat from his soda fountain. Duncan also had the name of being quite a doctor and was credited with saving some lives when there was no doctor available. The upstairs dance floor has many pleasant memories for all the old timers.
The busiest place in town was, no doubt, the depot, especially at train time. At one time there were six passenger trains per day.
When Highway 87 by-passed the town, it was quite a blow to the community. The school eventually consolidated with the Stanford School. And the Post Office also consolidated with Stanford's. However, the Windham Hall is still the center of many community activities. On occasion, dances will be held there. The Woman's Club, 4-H Club and the Judith Basin Farmer's Union put it to much good use keeping it an active community. (from Furrows and Trails in Judith Basin